"D" is for Daughters

Grateful April in the A-Z Blogging Challenge

I am not one of those people who write their posts beforehand. In my inaugural attempt at completing this blog challenge, I understand that some writers have their 26 stories completed ahead of time. Really?? I didn't do any pre-thinking before joining this challenge, much less pre-writing. So when you read one of my blogs during the Blogging from A-Z April Challenge, you're reading words inspired just moments before typing them, after my two cups of liquid sunshine.

This post is different. We will be driving by 6am on the day "D" is due, so I felt compelled to write early. This one is easy. No offense to Jarret if I don't commit "S" to Son, but today, I am most definitely grateful for having Daughters.

I grew up without a sister, and I can never fully explain to those of you who have a sister what it's like to grow up without one. So when I learned that my third child would be another girl, I wept. I did not realize how badly I'd wanted a sister for Jordyn until the doctor told me the sweet little blob in my belly was female. I began to daydream about them sharing clothes, late night conversations, and each other's weddings.

Everything I had missed, I wanted for them.

My plans for them came true, but not in exactly the way I imagined. Sharing clothes became stealing clothes, which led to one daughter putting a lock on her door at 20 years old, but whatever. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth.

Dana Martin bakersfield
Jaisyn, Allison, Dana & Jordyn
But then, my family grew. I gained another daughter.

When my kids were younger, circumstances led to creating a family law around our home: As each of the children get married, their spouses will become my children. No exceptions. Therefore, when Jarret became engaged a few years ago, he gave me a blessing to which I will be eternally grateful--the beautiful Allison. 

My biological daughters love her, too. Whether it was by my prior coaching about acceptance, family, and love or by Allie's naturally loving, gracious, thoughtful disposition, the three of them have bonded and understand that we are now a family of six. And when my daughters marry, Jarret understands that he will have two new brothers.

I am the grateful one. One day I will have six kids instead of three.

I am grateful for Jordyn. She is so considerate. She takes on my housework burdens as her own and shops, wraps, cleans, and decorates without expecting a 'thank you.' She is a natural mother and homemaker because of her love of children and craftiness, and she's also intelligent and sharp enough to be a CEO. Her spirit is all lightness; she laughs more than she talks, and her joy sparkles from her eyes like diamonds. The special quality Jordyn possesses is forgiveness; she doesn't hold grudges. She loves Jesus and it shows all over her happy face.

I am grateful for Jaisyn. When Jaisyn was just 3-years old, something happened one night when I was putting her to bed. She was getting drowsy, and as I leaned down to kiss her goodnight, she reached up and touched my face with her tiny little hand and said, "I remember touching God's face." She smiled, rolled over, and left me speechless. That was when I knew the Holy Spirit was in her, and every year after she became a stronger example of His goodness. Jaisyn's unique quality is her empathy; she can see all sides to every issue and wants to help heal all wounds. She is a good friend and confronts conflict with fairness and communication. She's also the life of any party. Ahem. 

I am grateful for Allie, who saw fit to say yes when Jarret asked her to marry him. It isn't easy being separated from your soul mate for so many months out of the year while he is off chasing his dream with the Los Angeles Dodgers. When most girls would forego their own lives and education because of the hoped-upon and assumed "riches" of professional baseball, Allie has sacrificed time with Jarret, postponed their wedding, and worked tirelessly to get her bachelor degree in nursing. And she isn't just getting by, she is top in her class at the university. Allie's unique quality is loyalty to those she loves. You can cross her, perhaps, and be OK. But cross someone she loves and you may as well walk away for good.

These are my daughters, they are sisters, and I am one grateful momma. 
dana martin writing bakersfield allie jarret martin
Sister, sister, sister, momma

Labels: